23 October 2010

Game 6

Another loss to a bigger, faster team.

This time it was Cal Lutheran, one of the top 15 ranked D3 schools in the country. We played them tough, but with a D1 transfer quarterback (from Marshall), two D1 transfer wide receivers (from ???), and an O-line that averaged 290 pounds we never really stood a chance. To make things even more ridiculous, our starting quarterback was injured and didn't play a down the whole game. His backup is only a sophomore and not very experienced. Due to the offenses inability to move the football, the defense took far more plays this game than in previous games. When the game was finally over the score stood at 38-7 and I was RIDICULOUSLY sore. So sore in fact that after posting this I'm going to pop a couple of Ibuprofen and go to sleep. As always though, there was a bright side for me. Over four quarters of almost constantly being on the field I racked up 9 tackles and 3 broken up passes. 3 of my tackles were in the backfield which I think impressed the coach. I did give up a big pass to one of their D1 receivers and let up a touchdown at the very end of the game when we had already lost and I was just trying to make memorable plays (never bite on the hitch, it could be a stop-and-go). After the game though, one of the junior O-linemen told me I'm the best DB we have right now. Probably not true, but it felt good to hear anyway.

Next week is a home game against Whittier, one of the few teams not significantly bigger than us. Should be winnable!

3 comments:

  1. KILL!

    that's motivational/congratulational talk if youre a marine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. strong work--always fun to face your own kobayashi maru scenario...

    Peg wants to confirm that you got the cookies the other week--because she is getting ready to send out another batch in the near future and wants to make sure the address is good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @keke: your mother says "shut up because you aren't a Marine yet!" ;-)

    ReplyDelete